My Pic

My Pic

Welcome to my little Corner

I am Barbara.

An introvert masquerading as an extrovert, a backyard gardener with a farmer's heart, a nurse by day and a dreamer by night. I am passionate about Jesus, spicy food, puppy dogs, words, compost and the aroma of desert rain. Music is chocolate to my soul but solitude feeds the deepest part of me.

And you need to know:

I have been rescued.

Several times actually. Right out of the mud and mire. My writing began as whispers between me and my God and it will always be rooted in that soil. So the plan is simple: I write. Out of the overflow of my heart, the place He has so generously chosen to dwell.

Though I am all grown up, I feel as if the handsome Prince has finally found me and the glass slipper fits. And a living breathing fairy tale has ensued.

So pull up a chair and "sit a spell", as we would say from my West Virginia roots. I hope you find His Footprints here.

Friday, August 23, 2013

Keeping in Step

Have you noticed? There is quite a disparity between the Western World Jesus and the Biblical Jesus.

Author Mike Erre has said, “It seems in many ways we are like Jesus’ parents on the road to Jerusalem: we think He is with us, but we've moved on without Him.” 

It’s true.  I’m afraid we've left the Jesus of Scripture behind. We've replaced Him with a newer version. This one is simply a God of love who blesses and is always on call in emergencies. He's the politically correct one who never leaves the church building and grades sin on a curve.  To many, His desire is for us to be healthy, wealthy and wise.  He never offends, never interrupts and never pushes us out of our comfort zone.  He is the genie who can make all of our wishes come true.  

Tragically, we've reversed the creation order, having made Him in our image.  We've reduced him to a cliff notes version:  pocket–size and easy to "use".  He’s now a pale gray figure that camps out in the back of our minds until we have need of Him.

Western culture has cheapened Christianity because we've cheapened Him whose name it bears.

It’s time to go back and find the real Jesus.  He’s not the purveyor of the American dream.  He warns that suffering will be a part of this world and that the joy we seek will only be found in living forever in His Kingdom.  He says hard things and asks difficult questions.  And while He loves to answer prayer, it’s always centered in His Divine will.  Yes, love and forgiveness are offered but they come at a great cost - His life.   That sacrifice demands more than lukewarm faith as He longs to fill us with His Spirit so we can walk a life worthy of Him.

And that means we walk with Him, not ahead or behind.  Because when we walk out of step with the real Jesus, we lose our way Home.





No comments:

Post a Comment